Today as I was trying to give my "niece" a bottle, she was quite displeased with me. She finally started to take it, but she was doing it rather defiantly. At first I thought, "hmm, I didn't know you could eat defiantly." And then, as I thought more about it, I realized how true that can be of us.
The pure milk of the Word is so important for our spiritual growth and yet we can come at it so defiantly. Even as we hunger for it, we can be unwilling to take a break from various distractions and really feast on the Word of God.
But I'm having fun. I'm fine on my own; I don't need that. I'm busy; leave me alone.
We come up with a million excuses. Then something happens and we are reading Scripture but we are doing it with the same attitude that generated those excuses. And like the baby who eats but does so with attitude, we gain very little from our time in the Word. Sure, it keeps us going, but where is the bonding? Where is the calm? Where is the joy in just spending quality time with the One feeding us?
If you are struggling with this, by all means keep making sure you spend time reading, but consider how much more you will get out of it if you take joy in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment