Saturday, June 27, 2015

Learning to Walk

As I get some brief quiet time while my cousin's baby sleeps, find myself thinking about walking. It's not normally something I spend much time considering. I just do it. I get up, put one foot in front of the other, and move on about my day without any conscious thought of what I am doing. It's natural. But to the baby I am spending so much time with, it's not natural. It's frustrating trying to get her feet under her and move them one at a time. She knows she wants to do it, but getting everything coordinated just right just doesn't quite work yet. But she keeps trying. We've all been in that spot. Maybe it wasn't walking. Maybe you've spent your whole life not doing this particular thing. But I can guarantee you have had something you knew you wanted to do and eventually would be able to do but started out too uncoordinated to manage.
Welcome to life.
Welcome to living for God.
The Christian life is impossible apart from walking in the Spirit. And even that takes practice. Unlike walking, though, it never becomes something you can do without thinking. You have to make the conscious decision to get up and do it. It's more like exercise than just being able to walk. You have to make a choice. It's hard and it gets frustrating when you fall flat on your face. But you have to keep at it. It brings so much purpose and meaning but best of all it brings glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment