I absolutely adore my "niece" (actually my cousin's daughter, but I go by auntie). She brings such a light to my days. I can't imagine spending the past week any way other than loving on her. But when some friends asked to take her for the morning, I found myself sighing inside with relief.
I don't recall ever being unsympathetic toward parents who needed a break. But I know as I have gotten older and had more experience with kids, I have come to understand more and more what it is to be a parent and how all consuming that job can be.
Now, as I work alongside my aunt to care for an almost one year old, I can certainly sympathize more with parents of young children. They are a joy, certainly, but they can easily wear you out! Today's reprieve has been a blessing... especially as a therapy dog just interrupted my writing to have a nice calming effect on my tired spirit. The baby has not experienced dogs in a positive way before so I'm not sure she would have handled the giant Newfoundland very well. But I needed a visit from a dog.
Sometimes you just need to stop and be an adult. And pray with people, take a walk, just breathe. There is nothing wrong with baby time and lots of it. But sometimes the weariness of expending all your time, energy, and focus on the needs of a little one can get in the way of taking joy in the routine.
And it is important to find that joy. A child probably isn't going to thank you for your efforts, at least not in words. But their bond with you, their trust in you, these are the things they give as thanks. And they are ample reward if you are willing to accept them.
Being a parent is hard. It's heartbreaking at times. But remember what I have said about true love? It's not easy. It doesn't fall into your lap in blissful peace that will last a lifetime without you ever lifting a finger. Parenting is not about what the child can do for you. It's pouring out everything you have, everything you are, for the sake of someone who may well scream, "I hate you" in the midst of a battle of wills during those dreaded teenage years.
So where am I going with all this? I don't know, honestly. I'm just musing and dragging you along with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment