Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Company of Good Friends

The best part of not working right now is not the lack of deadlines, the ability to write whatever I want, or the lack of the stress associated with being a foster care worker.  No, the best part of my current life situation is the company of good friends.  Over the past several days, I have had the opportunity to spend time with great friends and to be refreshed and encouraged.  I told someone while I was still working that I greatly missed being able to spend a lazy day with the people I love.  There is an unfortunate tendency in our culture to bemoan inactivity.  I'm not talking about being completely idle, though I do think that has a place once in a while when needed.  There is incalculable value in sitting down with a friend and just having a good conversation.  Or in reading.  Or writing.  Or in just being still.  Our culture is all about being busy, and without activity, we are convinced we have no purpose.

I've been that person; in fact my biggest fear about not working anymore was how to fill my empty hours.  But as I have relaxed into my new role and been able to enjoy time with friends and family, I realize there is an important purpose in this.  For one thing, I need the break.  But beyond that, I have learned that there is purpose in just spending time with people.  People need to be heard.  They need to know someone cares.  They need to be invested in and to invest in others.  That purpose cannot be fulfilled by doing mountains of paperwork, organizing every moment of every day, or meeting every deadline without fail. These things are important, and should never be discounted.  But neither should the value of people.

Don't short change yourself when you go spend time with someone.  Really invest in that time.  They deserve it and so do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment