I love to write, but some days are harder than others. I've been given some helpful tips that have resulted in some interesting, somewhat unrelated thoughts...
1) Write what you know. This is kind of the stereotypical answer when someone says, "What should I write about?" This very practical piece of advice is relevant for more than just writing. How are you to take advantage of opportunities if you don't know they exist? And how are you to know they exist if you don't go exploring? Some people know what they want out of life and that's great. But there are those of us who only know that we want to bring glory to God and enjoy life while doing it. For us, it is necessary to spread our wings once in a while and have an adventure or two in the process. So, as my world of knowledge expands, there are two things I am convinced of: 1) I don't know much of anything and 2) I have a lot more to write about than I used to.
2) Write a little bit every day. This has been easy for me over the past several years, but it has also been difficult. I have written many myriads of pages of information over the past six years, but my creative writing has slackened because I spend so much time writing for work that when I am not working, I wallow in my mind-numbing exhaustion. What point could this possibly have other than simply that I should write more? Well, it's part of self-care. So often we get absorbed in taking care of everyone else that we neglect to take care of ourselves. A big part of that is making sure our spiritual and emotional needs are met. I can often do this by just sitting down to read and write. Other ways I do this are going outside, running, and cleaning. Doing some of these things every day not only helps me keep up good habits, it also helps prevent the formation of unhealthy habits because I am doing things that are good for me and fulfill needs. By the way, I'm horrible at this one, but it is one of my goals for myself.
3) Write a set amount every day. Similar to above, it is important that not only have we determined we will do a little bit of something for ourselves every day, but if we set our minds to an amount, it often makes it seem more feasible. Set a small amount. 250 words. 10 minutes. 5 verses. Something that sounds unimaginably simple. Why? Because you will develop that habit, not get discouraged because you aren't meeting a goal, and you will probably expand that as it becomes more natural.
4) When you get blocked, just keep writing about anything. I've read a lot about writer's block because it tends to be a very frequent and annoying thing for me. My first step is often to get up, walk away, get something to eat or drink, breathe, and sit back down. This helps a lot for refocusing my energy, but what about those times when I sit back down and the blank screen just keeps staring at me like a menacing monster in some cheap horror film? Well, that's when the really random, off the wall stuff comes out. It's very important to not let that monster defeat you. Sit back down, and just keep writing. Write about the piece of fuzz on your shirt, write about the dinner you had with your friends the other night, write about what it would be like to live inside a geode. Just write. Eventually, your brain will spit out the idea that has been pestering you. And along the way, you may come up with some really cool stuff for a later date. So that's great, but what about the non-writer? Well, again, the principle still applies. You don't have to be a writer to write. And you don't have to write to follow this concept. I'm sure you've probably experienced a time in your life when you felt stuck. What did you do? Sometimes, you just have to get up and walk away for a bit, do something else and come back to it. Poof, problem solved. Sometimes it's more than that though. But the more you focus on it, the more elusive it becomes. So stop focusing on it. Writer's block is most difficult to overcome when you focus on the fact that you are blocked. Don't think about it. Think about other things. This is when writing comes in super handy even for non-writers. Your brain cannot speed along nearly as quickly when you write, so it cannot force you quite as easily to turn back to the blockage when you are writing about something else. Also, as you write, you may jog something loose about what you are thinking or feeling that is causing the block. And you may not even realize it is on your mind until you are thinking about how bees buzz around lilacs. Or whatever you are thinking about that has nothing to do with being stuck.
Some other thoughts:
I like to write in different locations. Even in my home I migrate. Sometimes I'm on the couch, sometimes I'm on the floor, sometimes I'm in my bed, and sometimes I'm at the table. I've even found myself in the kitchen writing on a few different occasions. I like to write away from home too. Sometimes I can't think at home because I look around and think, "Oh man! I should vacuum (dust/do dishes/take out the trash/do laundry/etc)." So in those instances, I go somewhere. A park, a coffee shop, a friend's house. Sometimes this is important for thinking about life too. Sometimes we need to find someplace where our minds can do their own thing instead of focusing on all the things we have lingering around us.
Dress for success. If I have a deadline to meet, even if it is self-imposed, I cannot stay in my pajamas/sweats/whatever. I actually get up and get dressed. And what clothes I wear matter. If I wear slouchy clothes, my entire demeanor about work is lazy and unmotivated. If I actually get dressed as if I were going about my normal day, I get a lot more done. Sometimes we need to consider this when we are going through day to day life too. How you dress can have an impact on how you think. If you are struggling to make a decision, dress like you are confident. This can help you actually be more confident in your decisions. This is not a universal constant, by the way. It just is an option to try when you are blocked.
Eat breakfast. Anyone else sick of hearing this one? I managed to pull myself out of bed, you really want me to shove something in my mouth now too? No thank you. But it does have a dramatic positive impact. If you eat within an hour of getting up in the morning, it kick starts your metabolism. This has a lot of benefits. If you are trying to loose weight, this will help boost your body's efficiency at burning those calories. But even if you aren't trying to loose weight, this helps your body's natural rhythms stay more consistent. It also gives your brain a nice wake up call and you can maintain better focus throughout the day. Fruits and grains are a good way to start your day. I find for me that they tend to be easier on my stomach in the morning, and they are good for giving you some energy that will last. Oatmeal and banana anyone?
Whatever your perspective on holistic medicine, I think there is one very important component to it: looking at the brain, body, and spirit as a unit is invaluable. If you neglect your intellect, your spiritual life, your emotional health, or your physical health, all of you suffers. Take care of yourself and keep people close who encourage your growth in all areas of your life. Then when you feel stuck, you'll have a nice toolkit available to help pull you out of the rut.
No comments:
Post a Comment