There is more to it than the fascinating period in history. Though we see little of him, we feel the impact of John Newton, author of the hymn "Amazing Grace," throughout. Early in the movie, we find the main character, William Wilberforce, consulting with Newton as to whether he should fight to abolish the slave trade or hide himself away to "serve God." Newton tells him to fight the trade; he warns Wilberforce, though, that it will not be an easy, pleasant, worry-free task. As Wilberforce continues to question what to do, he is confronted by concerned citizens carefully chosen by not yet Prime Minister William Pitt. They posit that Wilberforce can do both: fight the trade and serve God. Between Newton, Pitt, and this concerned band of citizens, Wilberforce is convinced. I love the impact of the hymn writer. He is a simple man with a rough history who not only gave us a beautiful, much loved hymn, but he encouraged a political leader to do what was right not what was easy.
But the best part of the movie to me is at the very end. The final vote is tallied and the slave trade is at long last abolished. After years of fighting. After years of health problems because of the stress. After so many "failed" attempts. Finally, the battle is over. Lord Charles Fox stands to address the assembly:
When people speak of great men, they think of men like Napoleon - men of violence. Rarely do they think of peaceful men. But contrast the reception they will receive when they return home from their battles. Napoleon will arrive in pomp and in power, a man who's achieved the very summit of earthly ambition. And yet his dreams will be haunted by the oppressions of war. William Wilberforce, however, will return to his family, lay his head on his pillow and remember: the slave trade is no more.Every time I hear this little speech, I find myself wanting to give Wilberforce a standing ovation. And I also thank God for creating a man with such strength and tenacity that he willingly fought a hard, brutal battle. I thank God that He made men and women who daily fight behind the scenes battles that no one will ever see. I thank God that He let me have an insider's look at what just some of those battles are. They leave their marks; I have my scars. But it was worth every minute of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment