How often do we get into a panic over the will of God for
our lives? Why do we freak out about
this? Have we forgotten about such
verses as I Thessalonians 5:18 (NKJV): “In everything give thanks, for this is
the will of God in Christ Jesus for you”?
Or what about Romans 12:1-2 (NKJV): “I beseech you therefore, brethren
by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy,
acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be
transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good
and acceptable and perfect will of God”?
But you may say to me, “Lisa, what about God’s specific will
for my life?” You’re right. Last I checked, the Bible didn’t say, “Lisa,
you are going to marry John Doe on July 27, 2017, and you are going to meet him
at Walmart on January 31, 2016.” You
know what? If it said that, my
personality is such that I would avoid Walmart on January 31, 2016, just to see
what would happen. Partially out of
stubborn defiance, partially out of intellectual curiosity, and partially out
of fear. If God told you every detail of
His will for your life, be honest with yourself, wouldn’t you find something in
it to complain about still? Wouldn’t you run from certain things?
Going back to my made up life example, say the Bible did
give those details, I would say to God, “I don’t want to get married in
July. Do you know how hot out it will
be? And humid! Ugh.
No thank you.” I would honestly
reject this despite the fact that I know it would be God’s best for me if that
is what His plan entailed. So I think I
will stick with the will of God I already know.
I already struggle to give thanks in everything, why would God want to
give me more to handle? Hard times will
come. Good times will come. God will show me what He specifically has for
me. But the first step toward that is to
follow what I already know to be His will as He has showed it to me in His
word.
No comments:
Post a Comment