Do you ever have that moment where you are so tired you don’t
want to deal with anything else, but you have promised someone you will call
them? The last thing you want to do is
make that phone call… but you know you
have to. If you don’t, you’ll be going
back on your word. And if the friendship
is tenuous and the product of trying to reach out to someone, the worst
possible thing you could do is go back on your word.
That was me tonight.
I dutifully made the phone call, my anxiety on the rise as I
recalled so many times I’ve had to call a client with similar mental health
issues. Always wondering what the deal
was going to be. They didn’t leave a
message. But they texted later and said
please call. I couldn’t believe how much
my stomach was churning. I wasn’t sure I
could do this again.
And then she answered the phone. Her voice was almost melodic. Something good must have happened. It did.
A huge answer to prayer. Her
future landlord allowed her an extra day to pay first month’s rent and deposit
so she was able to get the new apartment she has been hoping for. All of her stuff is packed. She’s ready to move.
What a blessing that hour on the phone turned out to
be! We talked about relationships and
siblings and school and her new place and how she is feeling more stable on her
current medications. So dramatically
different from what I have experienced before.
It was such a blessing to experience that part of my life
again without the frustration and heartache that were normal as a foster care
worker. My friends, please know that I loved
my job. I loved the people to whom I ministered
in that job, but I do not miss it. I am
so glad to be elsewhere, contemplating where to go with my summer, my life,
everything. I know that I am meant to be
in a support role.
As a fellow student said last night in a chapel service
dedicated to talking about what God is doing in our lives, I am called to be a
Sam. Some of you may have gotten that
already. Some of you need a bit of
enlightening… In the story of the Lord of the Rings, Frodo is the holder of a
ring which needs to be destroyed. It’s
going to be a dangerous, lonely journey.
But he won’t be alone. Sam, Frodo’s
faithful gardener, is going to come along.
And he is going to be a support to Frodo even when Frodo is horrible to
him. I have always loved Sam. Now I think I have a bit more insight as to
why… I am called to be a Sam. I’m the
support person. And what a
privilege! I get to be behind the scenes
doing whatever I can to help someone and encourage them in a way that would
benefit their ministry. How cool is
that?! Some of you may think that sounds
lame. I think it sounds totally awesome!
So that phone call to a friend reminded me of the fact that I
am meant to encourage people. And I love
it!
No comments:
Post a Comment