Thursday, January 15, 2015

Running

Today was a momentous day for me.  I went running.  To those who know me well, the fact that I went running will not be a surprise to you for you know I love to run.  But you are probably surprised that I called this a momentous day.  If you've spent very much time with me since April, 2014, you know what vertigo did to me for a while.  Running was not an option.  I couldn't walk a straight line let alone run one.  And after the vertigo cleared up, there were many reasons to not go for a run.  Most recently the fact that all of my packing and moving was taking up a lot of time and energy, not allowing for going on a good run.

I've been here a couple days now and my desire to run has been there, but the motivation to actually do it has been a bit of a problem.  I finally decided today that I was at least going to go for a walk.  Some sort of activity was necessary.  I have felt like I've been stagnating a little bit as I've been so focused on studying and keeping from falling behind, that I haven't really been doing much other than reading, going to class, eating, and sleeping.

So I went on my run.  And boy did it feel good!  The weather was perfect for it.  Mmm, so nice to have the sun on me, well ever.  It was a moment where I realized how little of the sun I have been getting over the past few years and how important it is to making me feel semi-human.

And after I got done with my run, as always happens, I felt so much more relaxed.  The worries of can I keep up with my homework, how am I ever going to learn so many verses in one semester, and all the rest flowed away.  It wasn't a hard run.  It wasn't a long run.  But it accomplished a purpose I didn't even realize I needed fulfilled.  That of easing some tension.

I've been feeling great while I've been here, aside from still adjusting to the altitude.  I've been refreshed and happy.  But there has still been some niggling doubt at the back of my mind that needed resolution.

Even though I don't think about much aside from my pace and my breathing while I am running, I feel like it is one of the best things for my relationship with God.  Why?  Because once I have done it, all the anxiety that plagued me before I went on my run melts into nothingness and I can focus on what God is telling me.  This afternoon it was to slow down, take some time with people.  That is, after all, what I am passionate about.  I love to share God with people whether it is in the context of someone who has never heard about Him or in the context of someone who just needs some encouragement.

So I didn't do any homework this afternoon.  And I didn't fuss about the fact that I wasn't doing any homework either.  I just enjoyed the afternoon.

So what does this have to do with anything?  It sounds more like a long-winded status update on Facebook than a blog post, right?

Well...

My purpose in sharing about running is to encourage you to find your way of easing your anxiety.  For a lot of people I know, running is more stressful than the things they are dealing with on a day to day basis.  So if you're one of those people, I don't recommend throwing on your running shorts and hitting the trail... well, actually, I don't recommend throwing on running shorts for most people right now.  It's a bit chilly for shorts.  Unless you are in a warm place, in which case, do what you will.  Anyway, that was a bit off topic... back to my point.  We all have stress in our lives.  Even good stress.  I would say right now is a time of good stress in my life.  I'm excited.  I'm learning.  I'm growing.  I'm meeting new people, trying new things, finding out new ways to get involved.  But it is still stressful.  So I needed to blow off a little steam.  Guess what.  That's normal.

Go for a run.  Take a bubble bath.  Do whatever you need to do to clear your thoughts and calm your spirit.  I've spent a great deal of my time running from my problems by filling my moments with activity.  But they weren't the kinds of activities that helped me get through those problems.  I'm pretty content, not really seeing a lot of negative things going on in my life, but what better time to get habits started that I know help me get through hard times?  Maybe next time something rough comes up, I won't struggle as much because I will already have established healthy routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment