Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Art of Thinking

It has been a REALLY long time since I posted.  Almost a year.  And even before that, it was sporadic.  I suppose in some ways it's due to the fact that the forum wasn't as great a need for me anymore.  A lot of it had to do with the fact that I just couldn't seem to write anymore.  I would sit down, stare blankly at my screen and wonder: "What's next?"  With no more endless streams of paperwork and chaos flooding my life, I could finally breathe and in that breath, I realized the creativity had taken a backseat to necessity.  I needed to recharge my writer's batteries.  Now, though, it seems there is a constant flow of things to be written.  New ideas pop into my head, often at the most inopportune times.  Who wants to be writing a poem about death in the middle of an uplifting chapel service?  But I have been amazed by the relief writing has brought.  So... I thought I would share a recent work with you that I wrote my a class.  I hope you enjoy it.

The Accused


“All rise!” I hear the bailiff say,

My shoulders are slumped,

My head is bowed,

I dare not cast a glance at the prosecution.

 

The Judge walks in,

His robes are white,

His face shines so brilliantly

I must close my eyes,

And as I do,

A single tear trickles down my nose.

 

A gentle hand,

Soft yet firm,

Scarred yet perfect,

Reaches out without a sound,

And catches the tear.

 

I dare to chance a glance:

He looks down at my tear with love,

An overwhelming compassion,

And I am broken yet filled,

Weary but strong.

 

“Let the accused state their name for the record,”

The Judge states clearly in a voice as soft as the breeze,

And as booming as thunder directly o’erhead.

I tremble and find the tears coming more steady now.

 

“Your Honor,”

The prosecution scoffs,

“She’s so ashamed she cannot even tell you her name,

“She knows of her guilt,

“Let’s dispense with this charade.”

 

The same gentle hand which caught my tear

Now rests firmly on my back,

And in a voice tender and low,

He tells the Judge:

“Hers is a name you know very well, Father.”

 

“Because we have been here so often!”

The screeching voice of accusation rings far too loudly.

I shudder, wishing I could hide.

 

“No.”

 

The lone word fills the silent void,

Nothing else is said.

 

I peek timidly up.

The Judge looks down upon me,

He smiles.

 

The prosecution attempts to voice his charges,

The Judge and my Defense glance at him.

He shrieks in apparent agony at their withering stares.

 

“I know her name,

“I know her face,

“I know her life,

“Because I made them.

“They are precious to me.

“She is precious to me.”

 

“SHE HAS VIOLATED YOUR LAWS!”

He screams.

 

“So have you,”

The Judge states softly.

 

“She is worthless!”

 

“She is mine,”

My Defense replies.

 

I am whole.

 

The prosecution slams his briefcase on the table,

“I’m not finished with you,”

He sneers down his long, well-manicured finger at me.

For the first time,

I notice him.

He is handsome in a tailored suit,

Perfect haircut,

And angular face.

But as I stare,

Something shifts.

He becomes ugly,

Sinister.

I recognize him for what he is,

And I draw closer to my Defense.

 

The prosecution taunts my weakness

In clinging to my Defense,

But I ignore him.

 

He leaves,

And another moment of silence ensues.

 

“Papa?”

I hear my timid voice echo in the empty courtroom.

 

“Yes, child?”

 

“Why do you listen to his accusations?”

For once, my question of the Judge

Is not accusatory.

I just want to know.

 

“Oh, my child.”

He steps down off the bench,

Rounds the corner of the witness stand.

He is imposing,

Yet I feel no fear,

Nor shame.

 

“How did you do that?”

My voice breaks

In wonder

And confusion,

At the removal

Of the pain in my chest

For all I have done.

 

“I took your guilt.

“I took your shame.”

My Defense tells me.

 

 

 

 

“I do not listen to the accusations,

“Child, I cannot hear them.

“I see my Son.

“I hear my Son.

“Not you nor what you’ve done.”

 

“Then.

“Why?”

 

“One day,

“He will no longer be allowed to bring cases before me.”

 

“That will be a beautiful day.”

 

“Yes, my child.”

 

“You look sad.”

 

“Because first many more must die,

“Many will be martyred for my name,

“Many will be accused before me.

Many will be lost for eternity.”

 

“That hurts my heart.”

 

“Mine as well, my child.

“So now you must share the victory.”

 

“Papa?”

 

“You must tell others of what is to come.

“Every knee will bow.

“Every tongue will confess.

“My Son is Lord.

“That will be a great day,

“But greater than that

“Is the day when one chooses Him

“When one is saved by faith.

“I love when my creation

“Worships me because of love,

“Not because they must.”

 

I withdraw a little.

Shame threatens to cloud my view.

Tears poke my eyes.

 

“Child,”

The Judge says with tenderness.

 

I look up.

“I’m afraid,”

I whisper.

 

Then I see,

The scars.

 

My Defense has taken off

His suitcoat and

Rolled up his sleeves.

 

“You have nothing to fear.

“I am right here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment