Sunday, April 26, 2015

Rain

It has been so difficult to write anything lately.  I just haven't been finding the inspiration to write anything in particular.  Picking out a topic has been a chore, which is unusual.  I'm not used to not having any idea what to write.

Anyway, today I was inspired by the rain we are getting.  For those of you that don't know, Wyoming is VERY dry.  Snow and rain are blessings because of the limited moisture around here.  Both forms of precipitation are important for the ground water and help with summer irrigation when moisture is particularly scarce.

We've been getting rain off and on since Friday afternoon, but it has been almost constant since Saturday around 4:30 (it's now Sunday around 4:30).  That would not seem like that big of a deal in Michigan.  We are used to rain and humidity, but here, this is a rarity.  And in it, I discovered that I have already become quite used to Wyoming weather.  When I came upstairs this morning from my basement home, I was surprised to discover it raining and had to run back inside for a jacket.  I had naturally assumed that the rain from last night would not be continuing this morning.

Why am I telling you this?  What possible relevance could rain have to your life?  Well.... maybe not much... then again... maybe a lot.

See, the blessing of the rain was multi-fold this time.  We were in town yesterday, canvassing the neighborhood.  We knew that the rain would make it difficult to use our Bibles and we were really hoping the rain which had been predicted to be all day would hold off.  We were incredibly blessed to have it hold off until we were essentially finished.  The water is turning the world green out here, which is also great.  We could go on for a while on this track, but let me get to my point.

God cares for the small details just as much as the big details.  If it had been raining while we were in town, we would have, at best, been miserable.  At worst we wouldn't have gone at all and the encouraging conversation I had with a woman who reminded me a little of my grandma would not have happened.  And my bad mood of yesterday morning would have continued.  And the great conversation I had today as a result of my improved mood would not have happened.  I think you get the point.  As much as the rain is a blessing, it could have completely changed things for me.  God knew that.  And He cared enough about such a small detail as when to make the rain happen to hold off until things had improved.

Maybe that doesn't seem relevant to you, but I have been impressed lately by the reality that as much as God is the God of the universe, He also cares about the minutiae of my every day life too.  How great is that?!  It's humbling... there are times where I live like He doesn't see anything I do.  But it is also encouraging... when I'm having a bad day, I know I can take that to God.  He may not take away whatever is making my day difficult, but He will be faithful to give me the strength to get through it.  I pray that as you are going through your day today, you are able to see the small things God is doing as well as the big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment