Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Loving Warrior Part 1


All of Scripture is powerful and amazing and can change our hearts and lives (see Hebrews 4:12).  But some passages carry more meaning to different people.  One passage that I fall more and more in love with every time I read it is Romans 8:31-39.  So let me take you on a little journey to unlock some of the awesomeness I have found in this passage.  Just as I told you about I Peter, though, I want to come at this recognizing that my thoughts on it are not the inspired word of God.  They are the thoughts of a fallible human.  I encourage you to take a look at this passage for yourself.  Dig into it and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you from the passage.

I’ll break this down into bite sized sections, but for today, I want to start with the passage as a whole and do an overview of it and give you some of the context.

Romans 8:31-39 (NKJV):

“What then shall we say to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?  Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect?  It is God who justifies.  Who is he who condemns?  It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?  As it is written:

              “For Your sake we are killed all day long;

              We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”

Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Just reading it reminds me of God’s amazingness.  And I haven’t even really started you in on digging deeper into it.  I am so excited to unpack this with you.  And I would love to know how it impacts you.

Anyway.

The book of Romans is an amazing, reasoned argument for faith in Jesus Christ.  It is a brilliant reminder of grace as the basis for our salvation as opposed to works.  And preceding these verse in Romans 8 is a pretty powerful discussion of suffering.  It is a promise that our suffering is temporary.  “That all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” (8:28).  It is a promise that the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf and does so far more fervently than we ever could.  It assures us of our identity.

We will be going through these verses more in depth.  I will give you my thoughts as I study them out.  But I would love it if you actively studied this for yourselves.  My words are so inadequate to convey how important the Bible is for our lives.  I will take you back to the verse I referenced in the beginning: “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment